In Fire

Bristol, Kingsport, and Johnson City, TN

Many modern conveniences run off of electricity in our homes. In fact, we tend not to overthink it when we flip on the lights or go to plug something in like a coffee pot, radio, or heater until something goes wrong. However, these commonly used items can lead to an electrical outlet catching fire in your home.

Unfortunately, there are many instances in which homeowners are completely unaware of that lead to house fires every year. In fact, the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) estimates there were more than 47,000 home fires in 2011, which resulted in 418 deaths and more than 1500 people were injured. The damages totaled to more than $1.4 billion. What causes these fires to begin?

Old electrical outlets or breakers, faulty electrical work, overloaded outlets, or damaged cords are common causes of electrical fires in homes. Even nails or screws that have penetrated wires or cords pose a hazard for a potential fire. The unfortunate part is that many homeowners and renters are unaware of these hazards. But, here are some tips from the NFPA that will help keep you and your family safe by avoiding an electrical fire in your home.

  • Be sure to have a qualified electrician perform all electrical work within your home
  • When using a heat-producing appliance such as a coffee pot, toaster, or heater, plug only one in the same receptacle at a time
  • Avoid using extension cords for major appliances such as dryers, refrigerators, or air conditioners
  • When installing light bulbs, use only the recommended wattage on each light fixture

Whether you are a homeowner or a renter, be sure to look out for these issues that could lead to an electrical fire. If you notice any of these instances occurring in your home, be sure to notify a qualified electrician (or your landlord if you are a renter).

  • Blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers that occur frequently
  • If you feel a tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
  • If you notice a wall outlet that is discolored or warm to the touch
  • Any strange smells such as a burning or rubbery smell emitting from appliances or outlets
  • Anytime you see an outlet emitting sparks

This certainly is not an all-inclusive list but touches on some of the most common occurrences associated with electrical fires in homes. When in doubt, always consult the advice of a qualified electrician.

Sometimes, even when taking every possible precaution, a fire may still occur in your home. If you or a loved one experiences this devastating disaster, contact Spotless Carpet Cleaners by calling (423) 926-9251.

Our state-of-the-art equipment and knowledgeable technicians can work hard to restore your personal items, heirlooms, and more if your home has suffered a fire. In many cases, we can restore items to their original state, helping to preserve your family’s memories.

Spotless Carpet Cleaners provides professional carpet, tile and hardwood floor cleaning, as well as water and fire restoration to homeowners and businesses in the Kingsport, and Johnson City, Tennessee.