Once your carpet has returned to its former glory by your friendly local professionals, such as Spotless Carpet Cleaners, you’ll want to keep that professionally cleaned carpet in great condition for as long as possible. Here are some tips for simple and easy carpet maintenance.
Maintaining Your Professionally Cleaned Carpet
- Doormats, both inside and out. You should have a brushy doormat outside, so people can scrape the worst mud and leaves off before entering, and a softer one inside to catch the rest. Even if people do their best to clean off their shoes before coming through the door, you’ll be shocked at how much still comes in. It’s much easier to shake out or hose off a thin rug than to constantly clean the entryway carpet. And we hate to see muddy footprints on professional cleaned carpet.
- Arrange an easy place for family and guests to remove their shoes upon entering the house. If there’s nowhere obvious to take off their shoes, guests will likely keep them on. Make it clear with a shoe rack by the door, or a small bench for sitting down while undoing laces. Guests are much more likely to get the idea before wandering around and unintentionally spreading dust if you make the expectations clear with your doorside decor.
- Choose one entryway for children and pets, if possible. Kids mean well, but they often forget to wipe their feet or take off their shoes. Pets have no idea about it at all, and will just run straight in, hopefully passing briefly over both doormats in the process. It’s best to choose one doorway for them to pass through when they come in from the yard, and keep any others locked, thus minimizing the spread of mud and leaves to a smaller area. All the better if the chosen doorway doesn’t lead directly onto your professionally cleaned carpet.
- Vacuum or sweep high traffic areas frequently. A quick sweep or pass with the vacuum by the doorway on a daily basis, or at least every couple of days, will go a long way toward reducing long term mess. The longer it sits by the door, the better chance there is of dirt, pine needles, leaves, and other detritus being tracked all over the house and pressed deeper into the carpet where it becomes more challenging to remove.
- Clean up any wet spills immediately. We all know that spilled lemon soda is sticky and could create a dirty patch over time, but even plain water can turn dry dust into mud and help it sink into the carpet. Prevention is key.
If you have any questions about maintaining your professionally cleaned carpet, or you want to schedule a cleaning, please contact Spotless Carpet Cleaners at (423) 926-9251 or visit our website.