Bristol, Kingsport, and Johnson City, TN
Winter tends to be the time of year when house fires are at an all-time high. Maybe it is because of the additional heating sources used or extra decorative lighting or all the cooking around the holidays. Whichever the cause, a house fire can leave a homeowner and their family completely devastated. Spotless Carpet Cleaners has provided you with tips for preventing a house fire this winter. We hope you and your loved ones stay safe during this cold season.
According to Travelers insurance company, these are the most common causes of house fires – ranked in order, along with tips on preventing these unfortunate instances.
Faulty Wiring and Outlets
Faulty wiring or outlets can be an issue in any home, whether old or newly built. You may even live in your home for years without having an issue until disaster suddenly strikes with no warning.
To prevent an electrical fire:
- Check electrical cords throughout your home for signs of wear or fraying. Replace frayed wires immediately as these could be a fire hazard.
- Avoid covering electrical cords with items that may cause the cord to pinch. Also, do not cover cords under rugs.
- Be mindful of your home’s electrical system and its capacity by not overloading circuits. A licensed electrician can assess your electrical system and answer any questions that you may have about it.
- Use a surge protector, not just a power strip, to protect electronics such as computers and televisions from a power surge.
Carelessness in Kitchen
We have all been there, rushing to cook a meal, and then get distracted. This can be a danger to you and your family!
To prevent a kitchen fire:
- Always keep your eye on what you are cooking, never leave the stove unattended.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy and know how to use it properly.
- Clean your stove and oven regularly to avoid buildup as splatter and grease can cause a fire.
- Always plug appliances, even coffee pots, and toasters, directly into an outlet, and never use an extension cord.
- Unplug small appliances when not in use.
- Never use a gas or propane oven to heat your house.
Other Common Sources
Some of these other common sources may surprise you, but also ranked on the list of causing house fires. Don’t be a victim!
- Install dryer vent properly, as instructed by the manufacturer, or hire a professional to do the installation.
- Keep dryer vent cleaned out regularly.
- Clean the lint trap after each load.
- Remember to clean under your dryer as well, as lint and dust can collect there.
Alternative Heating Sources
- Avoid using a space heater that is not UL Listed. Take the listed safety features to heart.
- Avoid using a space heater too close to furniture, or other objects that can catch fire easily.
- If installing alternate heat source in the home, follow manufacturer’s instructions exactly or hire a professional for the install.
- Have your chimney inspected every year by a Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA)-certified professional. Repairs should be done as needed, and inspections should take place before the cold months when you will be most likely to use it.
- Only used seasoned wood to burn in your fireplace. Never burn green or damp wood, cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash, or other objects in your fireplace as this can cause a chimney fire.
Fire Restoration in the Tri-Cities
House fires can still happen, no matter how hard you try to prevent them. When disaster strikes, call the professionals at Spotless Carpet Restorations to take care of and restore your heirlooms back to their original state. Call us at (423) 926-9251 to schedule an estimate from one of our professional, certified restoration technicians. We are available 24/7!
Since 1975, Spotless Carpet Cleaners has served the carpet cleaning and restoration needs for customers in the areas of Kingsport, Johnson City, and Bristol, Tennessee.