As you walk through your front door, the first thing you do is kick off your shoes and shuffle to the sofa for the five minutes between now and whatever you have to do next. Your legs outstretched, heels laying gently on your living room carpet, you look down and realize it’s been ages since your floor had been cleaned – REALLY cleaned. Now your mind wonders to what could be lurking within those fibers… How often do you have your carpets professionally cleaned?
If you think vacuuming your carpets on a regular basis is enough to keep them clean, think again. Here are just a few reason you should have your carpets professionally cleaned regularly:
- The average person loses tens of thousands of skin flakes every hour. That’s almost one million skin cells in 24 hours – per person, most of which get caught in your carpets and rugs.
- Bed bugs can live in carpet fibers. They don’t fly or jump, but they can crawl rather quickly over most surfaces. Females can lay 1-2 eggs daily, which will hatch in about a weeks time. Bed bugs need several blood meals as they reach maturity, and a thorough feeding can take up to 10 minutes with it host (you) not even realized they’ve been bitten.
- If you have carpet near a fireplace, it provides the perfect environment for firebrats and silverfish. They prefer warmer temperatures and need some humidity. Although they aren’t harmful per se, they can invade and contaminate food products and feed on paper goods and clothing.
- Dust mites also need warm and humid areas to live, and feed on dead skin cells.
- Your carpet can contain up to 200,000 bacteria per square inch, according to microbiologist Dr. Philip Tierno. They come from your pets, your children after playing in a park or on the playground, your shoes, your bare feet, and anything else that touches your floors after being on the ground outside for any length of time.
- Because your carpet absorbs liquid faster than you can sop it up, a simple spill can lurk under those fibers for a long while. Under the right – or wrong – circumstances, this could cause mold and/or mildew to be under your feet without you realizing it.
Having your carpet professionally cleaned not only will give you peace of mind, but often it will also extend the life of your carpet. Most carpet manufacturers recommend having them professionally steam cleaned at least once a year. If you have an overactive family, or a few more pets than the average household, you could consider having it done more often.
Steam cleaning will get down deep into the fibers and pull all those itty bitty critters and unwanted pollutants away from your floors and out of your life. It’s also the best way to clean because it pulls most of the moisture out. This will allow your carpet to dry quickly and will prevent that nasty mold from growing.
If you are ready to give your carpets a good once over, call us today and speak with one of our qualified carpet specialist. We are eager to help keep your carpets healthy and happy.